What Children Need Most   

A husband had just finished reading the book “Man of the House” while making his commute home from work. When he arrived home, he stormed into the house and walked directly up to his wife. Pointing his finger in her face, he said, “From now on I want you to know that I am the man of this house and my word is law! You are to prepare me a gourmet meal tonight, and when I’m finished eating my meal, I expect a sumptuous dessert afterwards. Then, after dinner, you are going to draw my bath so I can relax. And when I’m finished with my bath, guess who’s going to dress me and comb my hair?” His wife thought for a moment and responded, “My guess is the Funeral Director.”
Being a husband/father does not mean that your family must tend to your every wish and desire. Just as Jesus came to be a servant to all, so also should a husband/father seek to be a loving and caring provider to his family. That means being a provider both physically and spiritually. Good husbands/fathers are genuine men of God who know they have been given the responsibility to truly bless the people that God has placed under their care.
I’m sure all of us want good things for our children. And if you are truly a good and godly husband/father, what you want most to give your family is a strong and faithful relationship with the Lord.
But you can’t give them what you don’t have! Do you want your children to see the Lord in you? Then He has to truly be the Lord of your life. Do you want your children to live an abundant life in Christ? Then you have to live that life yourself. Let them see that living for the Lord is the most important thing in your life.
A preacher once asked the preschoolers in Sunday school to draw pictures of God. He intended to use them as an illustration for his Sunday sermon. Toward the end of class the children were excited to show him their work. They came up with rainbows and men with big hands. Finally, the preacher’s daughter showed him her picture—a man with a suit and tie on. “I don’t know what God looks like,” she said, “so I just drew my daddy instead.”
Thank God for great fathers who remind their children of the Lord!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog