The Cross of Christ   

John Newton was a British sailor and Anglican clergyman. Starting his career at sea, at a young age, he became involved with the slave trade for a few years, and was himself enslaved for a period. After experiencing a religious conversion, he became a minister, hymn-writer, and later a prominent supporter of the abolition of slavery. He was the author of many hymns, including perhaps the best-known hymn ever written, “Amazing Grace.” He also wrote this poem about the cross of Christ:
In evil long I took delight,
Unawed by shame or fear,
Till a new object struck my sight,
And stopp'd my wild career:
I saw One hanging on a Tree
In agonies and blood,
Who fix'd His languid eyes on me
As near His Cross I stood.
Sure never till my latest breath,
Can I forget that look:
It seem'd to charge me with His death,
Though not a word He spoke:
My conscience felt and own'd the guilt,
And plunged me in despair:
I saw my sins His Blood had spilt,
And help'd to nail Him there.
Alas! I knew not what I did!
But now my tears are vain:
Where shall my trembling soul be hid?
For I the Lord have slain!
A second look He gave, which said,
“I freely all forgive;
This blood is for thy ransom paid;
I die that thou may'st live.”
Thus, while His death my sin displays
In all its blackest hue,
Such is the mystery of grace,
It seals my pardon too.
With pleasing grief, and mournful joy,
My spirit now if fill'd,
That I should such a life destroy,
Yet live by Him I kill'd!
If I set out to write a poem about Christ on the cross, I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t sound much like the way Newton conveyed his thoughts. But I think the sentiment might be somewhat the same. How dreadful it is that my sins were the cause of Jesus’ suffering and death on the cross. But how awesome it is that He loved me that much.
In 1 Peter 2:24, Peter wrote, “And He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed.” The life He gave on the cross changes the life I have eternally. And being overwhelmed by that loving sacrifice on my behalf, that life He gave on the cross also changes the life I live now. How can I not, with humble gratitude, give my life back to Him?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog